Finding mold and then having to undergo mold remediation in your Philadelphia home is an understandably stressful thing. Mold can be a small indicator of a much larger problem. Many people don’t know where to start at the first sign of trouble—that small spot of dark mold. Here are the do’s and don’ts to follow should you find mold in your home here in the Greater Philadelphia Area:
Got Mold? Choose Mold Remediation to Save your Home or Business
- Note if you notice a leak or excess water at the time of mold discovery.
- Immediately contact a licensed, professional mold inspector to conduct an inspection. This mold damage specialist will assess the state of and the type of the mold damage.
- Hire a licensed mold remediation specialist to remove the mold and clean and sanitize the affected area.
- Address the source of the moisture immediately. Prevent new mold or water damage from incurring by killing it at the source. Common sources of mold include: HVAC systems, plumbing fixtures, leaking pipes, roof or window leaks, or lack of ventilation in damp areas, such as the kitchen and bathroom.
- Remember that mold can be dangerous and hazardous to your health, and keep your family away from the affected area.
Things to avoid when dealing with mold damage in your Philadelphia home.
- Attempt to remove or clean the mold by yourself. This is a job for a professional mold remediation specialist.
- Paint over the mold. This doesn’t fix the problem, as the mold will continue growing beneath the fresh paint.
- Ignore the problem. This can hurt your Philadelphia home or business further.
- Enter moldy areas if possible.
- Touch the mold or moldy items with bare hands.
- Breathe in mold. Mold spores are toxic and can be hazardous to your health.
- Let children play in moldy areas.
A professional mold remediation specialist will assess the situation, find the cause of the mold, remove the mold, sanitize the area, and ensure that it won’t return by fixing the root of the problem, which tends to be a leak or ventilation issue.
The professional mold remediation specialists here at Scavello Restoration are here to answer any of your mold or water damage questions. Are you curious about what we do in a mold crisis or have any questions? Let us know in the comments below.